
Torre de Belém - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.691652189603964, -9.215969383207815Built on the northern bank of the Tagus between 1514 and 1520 as part of the Tagus estuary defence system, the Tower of Belém is one of the architectural jewels of the reign of Manuel I. In the tower as a whole one can distinguish two distinct volumes and military architectural models: the mediaeval keep tower and the modern bulwark which, as it contained two artillery levels, allowed for long-distance cannon firing as well as ...

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.698112850075525, -9.206629905588464The Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém, better known as Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, is a Portuguese monastery, built at the end of the 15th century by King D. Manuel I and was entrusted to the Order of São Jerónimo. It is located in the parish of Belém, in the city and municipality of Lisbon. It has, since 2016, the status of National Pantheon. The culmination of Manueline architecture, this monastery is the most notable Portuguese ...

CR7 2023 Edition
Versão portuguesa aqui.Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro born 5 February 1985 is a Portuguese professional football player who plays as a forward for and captains both Saudi Professional League club Al Nassr and the Portugal national team. Widely regarded as one of the greatest players of all time, Ronaldo has won five Ballon d'Or awards and four European Golden Shoes, the most by a European player. He has won 32 trophies in his career, including seven league titles, five UEFA Champion...
«There is, in the most western part of Iberia, a very strange people: they neither govern nor allow themselves to be governed!»



Torre de Belém - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.691652189603964, -9.215969383207815Built on the northern bank of the Tagus between 1514 and 1520 as part of the Tagus estuary defence system, the Tower of Belém is one of the architectural jewels of the reign of Manuel I. In the tower as a whole one can distinguish two distinct volumes and military architectural models: the mediaeval keep tower and the modern bulwark which, as it contained two artillery levels, allowed for long-distance cannon firing as well as ...

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.698112850075525, -9.206629905588464The Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém, better known as Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, is a Portuguese monastery, built at the end of the 15th century by King D. Manuel I and was entrusted to the Order of São Jerónimo. It is located in the parish of Belém, in the city and municipality of Lisbon. It has, since 2016, the status of National Pantheon. The culmination of Manueline architecture, this monastery is the most notable Portuguese ...

CR7 2023 Edition
Versão portuguesa aqui.Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro born 5 February 1985 is a Portuguese professional football player who plays as a forward for and captains both Saudi Professional League club Al Nassr and the Portugal national team. Widely regarded as one of the greatest players of all time, Ronaldo has won five Ballon d'Or awards and four European Golden Shoes, the most by a European player. He has won 32 trophies in his career, including seven league titles, five UEFA Champion...
«There is, in the most western part of Iberia, a very strange people: they neither govern nor allow themselves to be governed!»
Share Dialog
Share Dialog

Subscribe to Made in PT bringing 560.web3 content to the world.

Subscribe to Made in PT bringing 560.web3 content to the world.
<100 subscribers
<100 subscribers
Versão portuguesa aqui.
GPS 38.679856320247715, -28.204977479172307
Igreja Matriz de São Jorge is a Portuguese Catholic church located in Velas, on the Azorean island of São Jorge.
This church was built on the site where the primitive church of São Jorge existed, mentioned in the will of Infante D. Henrique, which dates back to 1460.

The license for its construction was requested by Father Baltazar Dias Teixeira, and granted by D. Afonso VI, by charter of April 23, 1659. For this purpose, in October 1660, the Municipality of Velas had to launch an annual feint starting the following year.
However, it was only in 1664 that the work on the building began, with bricklayer Francisco Rodrigues being its architect. Construction proceeded normally, the church being consecrated in February 1675 by the then Bishop of Angra do Heroísmo, D. Lourenço de Castro.
The current façade is no longer the same as it was then. Inside, made up of three naves, the altarpiece in the chancel is worth noting, which, according to Dr. João Teixeira Sousa, seems to have been what D. Sebastião offered the village, and to which the council of August 12, 1570 refers.

Also noteworthy is the side altar with a coffered vault, with the figure of the Blessed Sacrament engraved in basaltic stonework in the center and two stone pulpits with stairs. In the high choir, there is a pipe organ built in 1865 by Tomé Gregório de Lacerda, uncle of the famous composer Francisco de Lacerda.
When that bishop was on the island for the consecration of the temple, the artillery of Fortes das Velas spent 110 pounds of gunpowder in salvos on entry and exit. The construction of the tower took place in 1825, according to Avelar, placing three bells in it, which, in 1831, were taken down to make currency on Terceira Island. The large bell that was set in 1871 weighed 468,700 kilograms.
This mother church had several confraternities that would later be extinct. In 1902, the only fraternity existing there was that of Santíssimo Sacramento, erected in 1793, and which was in charge of the festivities linked to the procession of the Body of Christ and the ceremonies of endoses.

This church has contemporary stained glass windows, testifying to the legend of São Jorge slaying the dragon

Museum of Sacred Art
Associated with this church is the Museu de Arte Sacra de São Jorge, which has an interesting collection of sacred images, a painting on glass representing São Jorge, and valuable silver implements: censers, boats and monstrances.
It also has sculptures, ceramics, furniture, photographs and an important historical archive classified by the University of the Azores.
Versão portuguesa aqui.
GPS 38.679856320247715, -28.204977479172307
Igreja Matriz de São Jorge is a Portuguese Catholic church located in Velas, on the Azorean island of São Jorge.
This church was built on the site where the primitive church of São Jorge existed, mentioned in the will of Infante D. Henrique, which dates back to 1460.

The license for its construction was requested by Father Baltazar Dias Teixeira, and granted by D. Afonso VI, by charter of April 23, 1659. For this purpose, in October 1660, the Municipality of Velas had to launch an annual feint starting the following year.
However, it was only in 1664 that the work on the building began, with bricklayer Francisco Rodrigues being its architect. Construction proceeded normally, the church being consecrated in February 1675 by the then Bishop of Angra do Heroísmo, D. Lourenço de Castro.
The current façade is no longer the same as it was then. Inside, made up of three naves, the altarpiece in the chancel is worth noting, which, according to Dr. João Teixeira Sousa, seems to have been what D. Sebastião offered the village, and to which the council of August 12, 1570 refers.

Also noteworthy is the side altar with a coffered vault, with the figure of the Blessed Sacrament engraved in basaltic stonework in the center and two stone pulpits with stairs. In the high choir, there is a pipe organ built in 1865 by Tomé Gregório de Lacerda, uncle of the famous composer Francisco de Lacerda.
When that bishop was on the island for the consecration of the temple, the artillery of Fortes das Velas spent 110 pounds of gunpowder in salvos on entry and exit. The construction of the tower took place in 1825, according to Avelar, placing three bells in it, which, in 1831, were taken down to make currency on Terceira Island. The large bell that was set in 1871 weighed 468,700 kilograms.
This mother church had several confraternities that would later be extinct. In 1902, the only fraternity existing there was that of Santíssimo Sacramento, erected in 1793, and which was in charge of the festivities linked to the procession of the Body of Christ and the ceremonies of endoses.

This church has contemporary stained glass windows, testifying to the legend of São Jorge slaying the dragon

Museum of Sacred Art
Associated with this church is the Museu de Arte Sacra de São Jorge, which has an interesting collection of sacred images, a painting on glass representing São Jorge, and valuable silver implements: censers, boats and monstrances.
It also has sculptures, ceramics, furniture, photographs and an important historical archive classified by the University of the Azores.
No activity yet