
Torre de Belém - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.691652189603964, -9.215969383207815Built on the northern bank of the Tagus between 1514 and 1520 as part of the Tagus estuary defence system, the Tower of Belém is one of the architectural jewels of the reign of Manuel I. In the tower as a whole one can distinguish two distinct volumes and military architectural models: the mediaeval keep tower and the modern bulwark which, as it contained two artillery levels, allowed for long-distance cannon firing as well as ...

Forte de Santa Marta, Cascais - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.6906645919396, -9.421208371684521 It was built after 1640, as part of the Barra do Tejo defense plan, directed by the Count of Cantanhede. Equipped with a large battery compared to the fort and three juxtaposed rectangular bodies, with different areas, it crossed fire with the Citadel battery and defended the small mouth of Ribeira dos Mochos. In the second half of the 18th century it was the subject of several construction campaigns, the most significant being ...

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.698112850075525, -9.206629905588464The Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém, better known as Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, is a Portuguese monastery, built at the end of the 15th century by King D. Manuel I and was entrusted to the Order of São Jerónimo. It is located in the parish of Belém, in the city and municipality of Lisbon. It has, since 2016, the status of National Pantheon. The culmination of Manueline architecture, this monastery is the most notable Portuguese ...
«There is, in the most western part of Iberia, a very strange people: they neither govern nor allow themselves to be governed!»

Subscribe to Made in PT bringing 560.web3 content to the world.

Torre de Belém - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.691652189603964, -9.215969383207815Built on the northern bank of the Tagus between 1514 and 1520 as part of the Tagus estuary defence system, the Tower of Belém is one of the architectural jewels of the reign of Manuel I. In the tower as a whole one can distinguish two distinct volumes and military architectural models: the mediaeval keep tower and the modern bulwark which, as it contained two artillery levels, allowed for long-distance cannon firing as well as ...

Forte de Santa Marta, Cascais - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.6906645919396, -9.421208371684521 It was built after 1640, as part of the Barra do Tejo defense plan, directed by the Count of Cantanhede. Equipped with a large battery compared to the fort and three juxtaposed rectangular bodies, with different areas, it crossed fire with the Citadel battery and defended the small mouth of Ribeira dos Mochos. In the second half of the 18th century it was the subject of several construction campaigns, the most significant being ...

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.698112850075525, -9.206629905588464The Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém, better known as Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, is a Portuguese monastery, built at the end of the 15th century by King D. Manuel I and was entrusted to the Order of São Jerónimo. It is located in the parish of Belém, in the city and municipality of Lisbon. It has, since 2016, the status of National Pantheon. The culmination of Manueline architecture, this monastery is the most notable Portuguese ...
Share Dialog
Share Dialog
<100 subscribers
<100 subscribers


Versão portuguesa aqui.
GPS 38.74278256506285, -9.17366277846394
Located in the parish of São Domingos de Benfica in Lisbon, the Convent of Santo António da Convalescença was founded in 1640, but it was not until 1650 that the first religious entered it.

Built in the place called Cruz da Pedra, it served for many years as a hospice for sick religious who, after being cured in the infirmary of the Convent of Santo António dos Capuchos, would gather there to convalesce, always assisted by other religious.
The Convent Church also served as the Pantheon of the Sousa Coutinho Family, when, in 1755, it was razed by the Earthquake. Rebuilt after the earthquake, it would be demolished in the 20th century.
One of the peculiarities of this building is that its main body is lined with different tiles from those on its two sides, which gives it a certain originality.



It should be noted that the vast majority of these tiles are in perfect condition, which is becoming very rare in Lisbon.
Two schools were installed in this former Convent: the Elementary Technical School of Pedro de Santarém and the Preparatory School Professor Delfim Santos.
In 2023, the International University was installed there.
The Convent was male, belonged to the Order of Friars Minor, and to the Province of Santo António.

It was also known as the Convent of Cruz da Pedra de Benfica, and the Convent of Santo António da Convalescença de Benfica.
1640, it was founded as a hospice, on the initiative of the postmaster general of the kingdom Duarte Gomes da Mata, who made the new monastery the patronage of the postmaster generals of the kingdom
In 1720, it became a convent.
In 1746, it was rebuilt.
In 1785, 25 religious lived in the convent.
In 1790, the convent ceased to be patronage of the postmasters of the kingdom, its last patron being Manuel da Maternidade da Mata de Sousa Coutinho, Count of Penafiel.
In 1822, 10 religious lived in the convent. In 1834, within the scope of the "General Ecclesiastical Reform" undertaken by the Minister and Secretary of State, Joaquim António de Aguiar, carried out by the Commission for the General Reform of the Clergy (1833-1837), by the Decree of On the 30th of May, all convents, monasteries, colleges, hospices and houses of religious of all religious orders were extinguished, leaving those of religious, subject to the respective bishops, until the death of the last nun, the date of definitive closure.
The goods were incorporated into the National Treasury Own.
History archive
In 1865, on the 20th of June, by virtue of the Ordinances of the 26th of November 1863 and of the 24th of August 1864, the documents belonging to the now extinct Convents were transferred of São Domingos de Benfica and Santo António da Convalescença, described in the list signed by António Manuel Garcia, 2nd archivist officer of the Archive of the Directorate-General for Nationals, and by Roberto Augusto da Costa Campos, diplomatic officer of Torre do Tombo .
In 1883, on the 9th of May, by virtue of the Ordinance of the 20th of March 1865, of the Ministry of Finance, the books and documents of the Convent of Santo António dos Capuchos in Lisbon and others in the same Province described in the list signed by Eduardo Tavares, delegate of the Treasury, and by Roberto Augusto da Costa Campos, assistant to the chief official of Torre do Tombo.
In 1894, on the 14th of May, the Directorate-General for Nationals were sent to Torre do Tombo, the documents described in the list signed by A. J. Campos de Magalhães and by Roberto Augusto da Costa Campos, inspector of public archives.
The documentation was subjected to archival treatment at the end of the 1990s, undertaken by technicians from Torre do Tombo and by external researchers. In October 1998, it was decided to abandon the geographic arrangement by name of the localities where the convents or monasteries were located, to adopt the aggregation of funds by religious orders. As a result of this intervention, each religious order came to be considered as a group of funds, and at the same time as a fund, constituted on the basis of documentation from the parent or provincial house, an alteration that caused the change of quotas in the intervened funds.
Documentary series were created according to the principle of original order whenever possible (based on notary indexes, when available), corresponding to the formal typology of the acts, and which, in general, is documentation that is presented in a book. The documentation that is installed in bundles was considered as a series-level collection, with the designation of 'Various Documents', not having been the object of intervention.
Full list of Geochaching below:
https://mirror.xyz/madeinpt.eth/I5tjF3sn6ugnUw3nBnKOpOUr2DEh_g6cTN-0hivKCgc
Versão portuguesa aqui.
GPS 38.74278256506285, -9.17366277846394
Located in the parish of São Domingos de Benfica in Lisbon, the Convent of Santo António da Convalescença was founded in 1640, but it was not until 1650 that the first religious entered it.

Built in the place called Cruz da Pedra, it served for many years as a hospice for sick religious who, after being cured in the infirmary of the Convent of Santo António dos Capuchos, would gather there to convalesce, always assisted by other religious.
The Convent Church also served as the Pantheon of the Sousa Coutinho Family, when, in 1755, it was razed by the Earthquake. Rebuilt after the earthquake, it would be demolished in the 20th century.
One of the peculiarities of this building is that its main body is lined with different tiles from those on its two sides, which gives it a certain originality.



It should be noted that the vast majority of these tiles are in perfect condition, which is becoming very rare in Lisbon.
Two schools were installed in this former Convent: the Elementary Technical School of Pedro de Santarém and the Preparatory School Professor Delfim Santos.
In 2023, the International University was installed there.
The Convent was male, belonged to the Order of Friars Minor, and to the Province of Santo António.

It was also known as the Convent of Cruz da Pedra de Benfica, and the Convent of Santo António da Convalescença de Benfica.
1640, it was founded as a hospice, on the initiative of the postmaster general of the kingdom Duarte Gomes da Mata, who made the new monastery the patronage of the postmaster generals of the kingdom
In 1720, it became a convent.
In 1746, it was rebuilt.
In 1785, 25 religious lived in the convent.
In 1790, the convent ceased to be patronage of the postmasters of the kingdom, its last patron being Manuel da Maternidade da Mata de Sousa Coutinho, Count of Penafiel.
In 1822, 10 religious lived in the convent. In 1834, within the scope of the "General Ecclesiastical Reform" undertaken by the Minister and Secretary of State, Joaquim António de Aguiar, carried out by the Commission for the General Reform of the Clergy (1833-1837), by the Decree of On the 30th of May, all convents, monasteries, colleges, hospices and houses of religious of all religious orders were extinguished, leaving those of religious, subject to the respective bishops, until the death of the last nun, the date of definitive closure.
The goods were incorporated into the National Treasury Own.
History archive
In 1865, on the 20th of June, by virtue of the Ordinances of the 26th of November 1863 and of the 24th of August 1864, the documents belonging to the now extinct Convents were transferred of São Domingos de Benfica and Santo António da Convalescença, described in the list signed by António Manuel Garcia, 2nd archivist officer of the Archive of the Directorate-General for Nationals, and by Roberto Augusto da Costa Campos, diplomatic officer of Torre do Tombo .
In 1883, on the 9th of May, by virtue of the Ordinance of the 20th of March 1865, of the Ministry of Finance, the books and documents of the Convent of Santo António dos Capuchos in Lisbon and others in the same Province described in the list signed by Eduardo Tavares, delegate of the Treasury, and by Roberto Augusto da Costa Campos, assistant to the chief official of Torre do Tombo.
In 1894, on the 14th of May, the Directorate-General for Nationals were sent to Torre do Tombo, the documents described in the list signed by A. J. Campos de Magalhães and by Roberto Augusto da Costa Campos, inspector of public archives.
The documentation was subjected to archival treatment at the end of the 1990s, undertaken by technicians from Torre do Tombo and by external researchers. In October 1998, it was decided to abandon the geographic arrangement by name of the localities where the convents or monasteries were located, to adopt the aggregation of funds by religious orders. As a result of this intervention, each religious order came to be considered as a group of funds, and at the same time as a fund, constituted on the basis of documentation from the parent or provincial house, an alteration that caused the change of quotas in the intervened funds.
Documentary series were created according to the principle of original order whenever possible (based on notary indexes, when available), corresponding to the formal typology of the acts, and which, in general, is documentation that is presented in a book. The documentation that is installed in bundles was considered as a series-level collection, with the designation of 'Various Documents', not having been the object of intervention.
Full list of Geochaching below:
https://mirror.xyz/madeinpt.eth/I5tjF3sn6ugnUw3nBnKOpOUr2DEh_g6cTN-0hivKCgc
No activity yet