
Torre de Belém - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.691652189603964, -9.215969383207815Built on the northern bank of the Tagus between 1514 and 1520 as part of the Tagus estuary defence system, the Tower of Belém is one of the architectural jewels of the reign of Manuel I. In the tower as a whole one can distinguish two distinct volumes and military architectural models: the mediaeval keep tower and the modern bulwark which, as it contained two artillery levels, allowed for long-distance cannon firing as well as ...

Forte de Santa Marta, Cascais - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.6906645919396, -9.421208371684521 It was built after 1640, as part of the Barra do Tejo defense plan, directed by the Count of Cantanhede. Equipped with a large battery compared to the fort and three juxtaposed rectangular bodies, with different areas, it crossed fire with the Citadel battery and defended the small mouth of Ribeira dos Mochos. In the second half of the 18th century it was the subject of several construction campaigns, the most significant being ...

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.698112850075525, -9.206629905588464The Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém, better known as Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, is a Portuguese monastery, built at the end of the 15th century by King D. Manuel I and was entrusted to the Order of São Jerónimo. It is located in the parish of Belém, in the city and municipality of Lisbon. It has, since 2016, the status of National Pantheon. The culmination of Manueline architecture, this monastery is the most notable Portuguese ...
«There is, in the most western part of Iberia, a very strange people: they neither govern nor allow themselves to be governed!»

Torre de Belém - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.691652189603964, -9.215969383207815Built on the northern bank of the Tagus between 1514 and 1520 as part of the Tagus estuary defence system, the Tower of Belém is one of the architectural jewels of the reign of Manuel I. In the tower as a whole one can distinguish two distinct volumes and military architectural models: the mediaeval keep tower and the modern bulwark which, as it contained two artillery levels, allowed for long-distance cannon firing as well as ...

Forte de Santa Marta, Cascais - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.6906645919396, -9.421208371684521 It was built after 1640, as part of the Barra do Tejo defense plan, directed by the Count of Cantanhede. Equipped with a large battery compared to the fort and three juxtaposed rectangular bodies, with different areas, it crossed fire with the Citadel battery and defended the small mouth of Ribeira dos Mochos. In the second half of the 18th century it was the subject of several construction campaigns, the most significant being ...

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.698112850075525, -9.206629905588464The Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém, better known as Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, is a Portuguese monastery, built at the end of the 15th century by King D. Manuel I and was entrusted to the Order of São Jerónimo. It is located in the parish of Belém, in the city and municipality of Lisbon. It has, since 2016, the status of National Pantheon. The culmination of Manueline architecture, this monastery is the most notable Portuguese ...
«There is, in the most western part of Iberia, a very strange people: they neither govern nor allow themselves to be governed!»

Subscribe to Made in PT bringing 560.web3 content to the world.

Subscribe to Made in PT bringing 560.web3 content to the world.
Share Dialog
Share Dialog
<100 subscribers
<100 subscribers


Versão portuguesa aqui.
GPS 39.09374282208181, -28.049503607004805
It was at Pico Negro that the General Plan, approved in 1883, projected the construction of a 2nd order lighthouse.
The truth is that the decision was made to build the lighthouse at Ponta da Barca, a little further west and years later.

The Ponta da Barca lighthouse came into operation on February 1, 1930 and is located in Ponta da Barca, northwest of Graciosa Island. It has a tower 23 meters high and 71 meters high. It was equipped with a 3rd order rotating catadioptric dioptric lenticular apparatus, large model (500 mm focal length), the light source being a BBT gas eclipse. It had as a reserve the incandescence by oil vapor and a lamp with a constant level of 4 twists. The rotation of the optics was produced by the watchmaking machine.
The equipment and the lantern that housed it, purchased in 1927, cost 804,200 French francs, corresponding to 72,378$00.
In 1935 the road connecting the lighthouse to Vila de Santa Cruz was rebuilt. (The DF contributed with 6,000$00).
Another house was built, budgeted at 50,000$00 in 1952. Years later, another house was built, so that the capacity of the lighthouse now has four lighthouse keepers.

The lighthouse was electrified by means of generating sets in 1958, the light source becoming a 3000W 110V lamp, which provided it with a luminous range of 41 miles, leaving the incandescence caused by oil vapor as a reserve. In the eighties, the lamp was replaced by another 1000W 120V, reducing the light range to 20 miles.
In 1978 a strong thunderstorm caused great damage to the lighthouse and houses.
It was electrified with electricity from the public grid in 1999 and is automated with the DF model system.
On March 20/21, 2010, celebrations were held for the 80th anniversary of the Ponta da Barca lighthouse. There was an exhibition on maritime signaling in general and the Ponta da Barca lighthouse in particular. A panel of commemorative tiles was unveiled by the Vice President of the Regional Government of the Azores and the CALM DMA. There was also a presentation given by the director of the Graciosa museum, Captain of the Port and head of the lighthouse. There were visits to the lighthouse and the exhibition. The celebrations were marked with editions of tiles (150 copies) and commemorative postcards (1500 copies).

LOCATION: NW of Graciosa Island
FUNCTION: Coastal
ESTABLISHMENT: February 1, 1930
LATITUDE: 39º 05.63'N - 39º 05.62' N (WGS)
LONGITUDE: 28º 03.03'W - 28º 02.97' W (WGS)
HEIGHT: 23 meters
ALTITUDE: 71 meters
RANGE: 20 Miles (37 KM)
FEATURE: FI W 7s
OPTICS 3rd order, large model (500 mm focal length).
Versão portuguesa aqui.
GPS 39.09374282208181, -28.049503607004805
It was at Pico Negro that the General Plan, approved in 1883, projected the construction of a 2nd order lighthouse.
The truth is that the decision was made to build the lighthouse at Ponta da Barca, a little further west and years later.

The Ponta da Barca lighthouse came into operation on February 1, 1930 and is located in Ponta da Barca, northwest of Graciosa Island. It has a tower 23 meters high and 71 meters high. It was equipped with a 3rd order rotating catadioptric dioptric lenticular apparatus, large model (500 mm focal length), the light source being a BBT gas eclipse. It had as a reserve the incandescence by oil vapor and a lamp with a constant level of 4 twists. The rotation of the optics was produced by the watchmaking machine.
The equipment and the lantern that housed it, purchased in 1927, cost 804,200 French francs, corresponding to 72,378$00.
In 1935 the road connecting the lighthouse to Vila de Santa Cruz was rebuilt. (The DF contributed with 6,000$00).
Another house was built, budgeted at 50,000$00 in 1952. Years later, another house was built, so that the capacity of the lighthouse now has four lighthouse keepers.

The lighthouse was electrified by means of generating sets in 1958, the light source becoming a 3000W 110V lamp, which provided it with a luminous range of 41 miles, leaving the incandescence caused by oil vapor as a reserve. In the eighties, the lamp was replaced by another 1000W 120V, reducing the light range to 20 miles.
In 1978 a strong thunderstorm caused great damage to the lighthouse and houses.
It was electrified with electricity from the public grid in 1999 and is automated with the DF model system.
On March 20/21, 2010, celebrations were held for the 80th anniversary of the Ponta da Barca lighthouse. There was an exhibition on maritime signaling in general and the Ponta da Barca lighthouse in particular. A panel of commemorative tiles was unveiled by the Vice President of the Regional Government of the Azores and the CALM DMA. There was also a presentation given by the director of the Graciosa museum, Captain of the Port and head of the lighthouse. There were visits to the lighthouse and the exhibition. The celebrations were marked with editions of tiles (150 copies) and commemorative postcards (1500 copies).

LOCATION: NW of Graciosa Island
FUNCTION: Coastal
ESTABLISHMENT: February 1, 1930
LATITUDE: 39º 05.63'N - 39º 05.62' N (WGS)
LONGITUDE: 28º 03.03'W - 28º 02.97' W (WGS)
HEIGHT: 23 meters
ALTITUDE: 71 meters
RANGE: 20 Miles (37 KM)
FEATURE: FI W 7s
OPTICS 3rd order, large model (500 mm focal length).
No activity yet