
Torre de Belém - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.691652189603964, -9.215969383207815Built on the northern bank of the Tagus between 1514 and 1520 as part of the Tagus estuary defence system, the Tower of Belém is one of the architectural jewels of the reign of Manuel I. In the tower as a whole one can distinguish two distinct volumes and military architectural models: the mediaeval keep tower and the modern bulwark which, as it contained two artillery levels, allowed for long-distance cannon firing as well as ...

Forte de Santa Marta, Cascais - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.6906645919396, -9.421208371684521 It was built after 1640, as part of the Barra do Tejo defense plan, directed by the Count of Cantanhede. Equipped with a large battery compared to the fort and three juxtaposed rectangular bodies, with different areas, it crossed fire with the Citadel battery and defended the small mouth of Ribeira dos Mochos. In the second half of the 18th century it was the subject of several construction campaigns, the most significant being ...

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.698112850075525, -9.206629905588464The Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém, better known as Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, is a Portuguese monastery, built at the end of the 15th century by King D. Manuel I and was entrusted to the Order of São Jerónimo. It is located in the parish of Belém, in the city and municipality of Lisbon. It has, since 2016, the status of National Pantheon. The culmination of Manueline architecture, this monastery is the most notable Portuguese ...
«There is, in the most western part of Iberia, a very strange people: they neither govern nor allow themselves to be governed!»

Torre de Belém - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.691652189603964, -9.215969383207815Built on the northern bank of the Tagus between 1514 and 1520 as part of the Tagus estuary defence system, the Tower of Belém is one of the architectural jewels of the reign of Manuel I. In the tower as a whole one can distinguish two distinct volumes and military architectural models: the mediaeval keep tower and the modern bulwark which, as it contained two artillery levels, allowed for long-distance cannon firing as well as ...

Forte de Santa Marta, Cascais - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.6906645919396, -9.421208371684521 It was built after 1640, as part of the Barra do Tejo defense plan, directed by the Count of Cantanhede. Equipped with a large battery compared to the fort and three juxtaposed rectangular bodies, with different areas, it crossed fire with the Citadel battery and defended the small mouth of Ribeira dos Mochos. In the second half of the 18th century it was the subject of several construction campaigns, the most significant being ...

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.698112850075525, -9.206629905588464The Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém, better known as Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, is a Portuguese monastery, built at the end of the 15th century by King D. Manuel I and was entrusted to the Order of São Jerónimo. It is located in the parish of Belém, in the city and municipality of Lisbon. It has, since 2016, the status of National Pantheon. The culmination of Manueline architecture, this monastery is the most notable Portuguese ...
«There is, in the most western part of Iberia, a very strange people: they neither govern nor allow themselves to be governed!»

Subscribe to Made in PT bringing 560.web3 content to the world.

Subscribe to Made in PT bringing 560.web3 content to the world.


Share Dialog
Share Dialog
<100 subscribers
<100 subscribers
Versão portuguesa aqui.
GPS 37.08083380143927, -8.669466158056418
The General Plan for Lighting and Beaconing approved in 1883 already considered the installation of a harbor light at Ponta da Piedade. Despite this intention, it would not be built so promptly, so the Commission appointed by Ordinance No. 10 of October 28, 1902, of the Ministry of the Navy and Overseas, would still have a word to say, proposing the installation of a 6th order apparatus, showing two white flashes, followed by a red one. Once again, however, the project would be delayed, so that the final solution would differ somewhat from the perspective envisaged by the Commission appointed in 1902. Government Gazette No. 10 of January 12, 1912, stated:

«Under the terms of article 90 of the decree with the force of law of the 20th of last April, the former and ruined hermitage of N.S. da Piedade, in order to build a rotating beacon there».
The process would end up not being peaceful as the Board of the Parish of S. Maria de Lagos was against the demolition of the hermitage.
On February 15, 1912, Rear Admiral Schultz Xavier, representative of the General Directorate of the Navy, took possession of the hermitage and dependencies and, by deed of March 14 of the same year, that Directorate would buy a rustic building for 250,000$000 reis , belonging to Artur Baptista Galvão and his wife for the construction of the lighthouse.
The lighthouse at Ponta da Piedade came into operation on July 1, 1913. Initially it was equipped with a 4th order optical apparatus, rotating, showing groups of five white flashes every 10 seconds and having an oil lamp as a light source . The rotation of the optics was done through the clockwork machine. The tower is 5 meters high and 51 meters high.
The 4th order optics were temporarily replaced on May 2, 1923 by a 6th order, fixed, white light. On December 15, the occultation light of 2.5 seconds interspersed with periods of fixed white light of 4 seconds duration passed, the 6th order optics being removed.
The lighthouse was electrified with energy from the public grid in May 1952, changing the light source to electric incandescence.
In 1956, a new electric glow plug with automatic switching to acetylene gas was installed.
It was automated in 1983 with a GISMAN model system.
LOCATION: AT PONTA DA PIEIDADE
FUNCTION: COASTAL
ESTABLISHMENT: 1913
LATITUDE: 37º 04',91 N
LONGITUDE: 08º 40', 08 W
HEIGHT: 5M
ALTITUDE: 51 M
RANGE: 20 MILES
FEATURE: FI W 7s (Lt 1.5s;Ec 5.5s)
Versão portuguesa aqui.
GPS 37.08083380143927, -8.669466158056418
The General Plan for Lighting and Beaconing approved in 1883 already considered the installation of a harbor light at Ponta da Piedade. Despite this intention, it would not be built so promptly, so the Commission appointed by Ordinance No. 10 of October 28, 1902, of the Ministry of the Navy and Overseas, would still have a word to say, proposing the installation of a 6th order apparatus, showing two white flashes, followed by a red one. Once again, however, the project would be delayed, so that the final solution would differ somewhat from the perspective envisaged by the Commission appointed in 1902. Government Gazette No. 10 of January 12, 1912, stated:

«Under the terms of article 90 of the decree with the force of law of the 20th of last April, the former and ruined hermitage of N.S. da Piedade, in order to build a rotating beacon there».
The process would end up not being peaceful as the Board of the Parish of S. Maria de Lagos was against the demolition of the hermitage.
On February 15, 1912, Rear Admiral Schultz Xavier, representative of the General Directorate of the Navy, took possession of the hermitage and dependencies and, by deed of March 14 of the same year, that Directorate would buy a rustic building for 250,000$000 reis , belonging to Artur Baptista Galvão and his wife for the construction of the lighthouse.
The lighthouse at Ponta da Piedade came into operation on July 1, 1913. Initially it was equipped with a 4th order optical apparatus, rotating, showing groups of five white flashes every 10 seconds and having an oil lamp as a light source . The rotation of the optics was done through the clockwork machine. The tower is 5 meters high and 51 meters high.
The 4th order optics were temporarily replaced on May 2, 1923 by a 6th order, fixed, white light. On December 15, the occultation light of 2.5 seconds interspersed with periods of fixed white light of 4 seconds duration passed, the 6th order optics being removed.
The lighthouse was electrified with energy from the public grid in May 1952, changing the light source to electric incandescence.
In 1956, a new electric glow plug with automatic switching to acetylene gas was installed.
It was automated in 1983 with a GISMAN model system.
LOCATION: AT PONTA DA PIEIDADE
FUNCTION: COASTAL
ESTABLISHMENT: 1913
LATITUDE: 37º 04',91 N
LONGITUDE: 08º 40', 08 W
HEIGHT: 5M
ALTITUDE: 51 M
RANGE: 20 MILES
FEATURE: FI W 7s (Lt 1.5s;Ec 5.5s)
No activity yet