
Torre de Belém - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.691652189603964, -9.215969383207815Built on the northern bank of the Tagus between 1514 and 1520 as part of the Tagus estuary defence system, the Tower of Belém is one of the architectural jewels of the reign of Manuel I. In the tower as a whole one can distinguish two distinct volumes and military architectural models: the mediaeval keep tower and the modern bulwark which, as it contained two artillery levels, allowed for long-distance cannon firing as well as ...

Forte de Santa Marta, Cascais - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.6906645919396, -9.421208371684521 It was built after 1640, as part of the Barra do Tejo defense plan, directed by the Count of Cantanhede. Equipped with a large battery compared to the fort and three juxtaposed rectangular bodies, with different areas, it crossed fire with the Citadel battery and defended the small mouth of Ribeira dos Mochos. In the second half of the 18th century it was the subject of several construction campaigns, the most significant being ...

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.698112850075525, -9.206629905588464The Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém, better known as Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, is a Portuguese monastery, built at the end of the 15th century by King D. Manuel I and was entrusted to the Order of São Jerónimo. It is located in the parish of Belém, in the city and municipality of Lisbon. It has, since 2016, the status of National Pantheon. The culmination of Manueline architecture, this monastery is the most notable Portuguese ...
«There is, in the most western part of Iberia, a very strange people: they neither govern nor allow themselves to be governed!»

Torre de Belém - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.691652189603964, -9.215969383207815Built on the northern bank of the Tagus between 1514 and 1520 as part of the Tagus estuary defence system, the Tower of Belém is one of the architectural jewels of the reign of Manuel I. In the tower as a whole one can distinguish two distinct volumes and military architectural models: the mediaeval keep tower and the modern bulwark which, as it contained two artillery levels, allowed for long-distance cannon firing as well as ...

Forte de Santa Marta, Cascais - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.6906645919396, -9.421208371684521 It was built after 1640, as part of the Barra do Tejo defense plan, directed by the Count of Cantanhede. Equipped with a large battery compared to the fort and three juxtaposed rectangular bodies, with different areas, it crossed fire with the Citadel battery and defended the small mouth of Ribeira dos Mochos. In the second half of the 18th century it was the subject of several construction campaigns, the most significant being ...

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.698112850075525, -9.206629905588464The Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém, better known as Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, is a Portuguese monastery, built at the end of the 15th century by King D. Manuel I and was entrusted to the Order of São Jerónimo. It is located in the parish of Belém, in the city and municipality of Lisbon. It has, since 2016, the status of National Pantheon. The culmination of Manueline architecture, this monastery is the most notable Portuguese ...
«There is, in the most western part of Iberia, a very strange people: they neither govern nor allow themselves to be governed!»

Subscribe to Made in PT bringing 560.web3 content to the world.

Subscribe to Made in PT bringing 560.web3 content to the world.
Share Dialog
Share Dialog


<100 subscribers
<100 subscribers
Versão portuguesa aqui.
GPS 38.76589603548162, -27.37364129200966
Adviser Almeida de Ávila already proposed, in 1891, that a beacon be installed visible in regular weather from 10 to 12 miles at Ponta da Serreta.
The Serreta Lighthouse came into operation on November 4, 1908. It is located at Ponta do Queimado or Ponta da Serreta. It had a tower 11 meters high and 96 meters high. Initially, it was equipped with a 5th order catadioptric apparatus, the light source being a constant level lamp. The rotation of the optics was produced by the watchmaking machine.

The optical apparatus was replaced in 1935 by another of the 4th order.
The light source in 1947 became incandescence by oil vapor.
The lighthouse was electrified in 1958 using generator sets, with the light source becoming a 3000W electric incandescent lamp.
Due to the bad condition it was in, the optics were replaced by another of the 4th order, which had been removed from the Sagres lighthouse.
The lighthouse was destroyed by the earthquake on January 1, 1980, which occurred at 3:46 pm. Four prefabricated houses were temporarily installed to accommodate the lighthouse keepers, almost a year later. During this period of time, the staff lived in the lighthouse's facilities (garages, warehouses, etc.), starting yet another story of sacrifice, of which the history of lighthouses is fertile. As for the tower, further thought was given to promoting its consolidation, but in 1982 that project was abandoned because it was too expensive. As the structure that had been removed from Cacilhas in the 1970s existed in Lisbon, it was decided to install this structure.
A 6th order lantern was provisionally installed in 1983, while the lighthouse structure was being assembled.
The provisional lighthouse was deactivated in 1986, the eclipser (EDOLD) was transferred to the lighthouse and a new 5th order optical device was fitted, with the characteristic and sector of visibility being altered. The tower was 15 meters high.
In 1987 the lighthouse was remodeled and automated with the SIRIUS system, starting to work using solar energy with the installation of photovoltaic panels.
It was left as a reserve with a generating set.
In the year 2000, the SIRIUS system was replaced by the ELCO – 12 system.
In 2001 the Almada City Council showed interest in the lighthouse structure returning to Cacilhas.
In June 2004, the lighthouse structure was replaced by fiber modules, making it 14 meters high.
LOCATION: On the edge of Queimado or Serreta, Terceira Island
FUNCTION: Coastal
ESTABLISHMENT: 04 November 1908
LATITUDE: 38º 45.95'N - 38º 45.85' N (WGS)
LONGITUDE: 27º 22.50'W - 27º 22.44' W (WGS)
HEIGHT: 14 meters
ALTITUDE: 95 meters
RANGE: 14 meters
FEATURE: FIW 6s
OPTICS 5th order optical device.
Versão portuguesa aqui.
GPS 38.76589603548162, -27.37364129200966
Adviser Almeida de Ávila already proposed, in 1891, that a beacon be installed visible in regular weather from 10 to 12 miles at Ponta da Serreta.
The Serreta Lighthouse came into operation on November 4, 1908. It is located at Ponta do Queimado or Ponta da Serreta. It had a tower 11 meters high and 96 meters high. Initially, it was equipped with a 5th order catadioptric apparatus, the light source being a constant level lamp. The rotation of the optics was produced by the watchmaking machine.

The optical apparatus was replaced in 1935 by another of the 4th order.
The light source in 1947 became incandescence by oil vapor.
The lighthouse was electrified in 1958 using generator sets, with the light source becoming a 3000W electric incandescent lamp.
Due to the bad condition it was in, the optics were replaced by another of the 4th order, which had been removed from the Sagres lighthouse.
The lighthouse was destroyed by the earthquake on January 1, 1980, which occurred at 3:46 pm. Four prefabricated houses were temporarily installed to accommodate the lighthouse keepers, almost a year later. During this period of time, the staff lived in the lighthouse's facilities (garages, warehouses, etc.), starting yet another story of sacrifice, of which the history of lighthouses is fertile. As for the tower, further thought was given to promoting its consolidation, but in 1982 that project was abandoned because it was too expensive. As the structure that had been removed from Cacilhas in the 1970s existed in Lisbon, it was decided to install this structure.
A 6th order lantern was provisionally installed in 1983, while the lighthouse structure was being assembled.
The provisional lighthouse was deactivated in 1986, the eclipser (EDOLD) was transferred to the lighthouse and a new 5th order optical device was fitted, with the characteristic and sector of visibility being altered. The tower was 15 meters high.
In 1987 the lighthouse was remodeled and automated with the SIRIUS system, starting to work using solar energy with the installation of photovoltaic panels.
It was left as a reserve with a generating set.
In the year 2000, the SIRIUS system was replaced by the ELCO – 12 system.
In 2001 the Almada City Council showed interest in the lighthouse structure returning to Cacilhas.
In June 2004, the lighthouse structure was replaced by fiber modules, making it 14 meters high.
LOCATION: On the edge of Queimado or Serreta, Terceira Island
FUNCTION: Coastal
ESTABLISHMENT: 04 November 1908
LATITUDE: 38º 45.95'N - 38º 45.85' N (WGS)
LONGITUDE: 27º 22.50'W - 27º 22.44' W (WGS)
HEIGHT: 14 meters
ALTITUDE: 95 meters
RANGE: 14 meters
FEATURE: FIW 6s
OPTICS 5th order optical device.
No activity yet