
Torre de Belém - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.691652189603964, -9.215969383207815Built on the northern bank of the Tagus between 1514 and 1520 as part of the Tagus estuary defence system, the Tower of Belém is one of the architectural jewels of the reign of Manuel I. In the tower as a whole one can distinguish two distinct volumes and military architectural models: the mediaeval keep tower and the modern bulwark which, as it contained two artillery levels, allowed for long-distance cannon firing as well as ...

Forte de Santa Marta, Cascais - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.6906645919396, -9.421208371684521 It was built after 1640, as part of the Barra do Tejo defense plan, directed by the Count of Cantanhede. Equipped with a large battery compared to the fort and three juxtaposed rectangular bodies, with different areas, it crossed fire with the Citadel battery and defended the small mouth of Ribeira dos Mochos. In the second half of the 18th century it was the subject of several construction campaigns, the most significant being ...

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.698112850075525, -9.206629905588464The Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém, better known as Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, is a Portuguese monastery, built at the end of the 15th century by King D. Manuel I and was entrusted to the Order of São Jerónimo. It is located in the parish of Belém, in the city and municipality of Lisbon. It has, since 2016, the status of National Pantheon. The culmination of Manueline architecture, this monastery is the most notable Portuguese ...
«There is, in the most western part of Iberia, a very strange people: they neither govern nor allow themselves to be governed!»

Torre de Belém - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.691652189603964, -9.215969383207815Built on the northern bank of the Tagus between 1514 and 1520 as part of the Tagus estuary defence system, the Tower of Belém is one of the architectural jewels of the reign of Manuel I. In the tower as a whole one can distinguish two distinct volumes and military architectural models: the mediaeval keep tower and the modern bulwark which, as it contained two artillery levels, allowed for long-distance cannon firing as well as ...

Forte de Santa Marta, Cascais - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.6906645919396, -9.421208371684521 It was built after 1640, as part of the Barra do Tejo defense plan, directed by the Count of Cantanhede. Equipped with a large battery compared to the fort and three juxtaposed rectangular bodies, with different areas, it crossed fire with the Citadel battery and defended the small mouth of Ribeira dos Mochos. In the second half of the 18th century it was the subject of several construction campaigns, the most significant being ...

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.698112850075525, -9.206629905588464The Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém, better known as Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, is a Portuguese monastery, built at the end of the 15th century by King D. Manuel I and was entrusted to the Order of São Jerónimo. It is located in the parish of Belém, in the city and municipality of Lisbon. It has, since 2016, the status of National Pantheon. The culmination of Manueline architecture, this monastery is the most notable Portuguese ...
«There is, in the most western part of Iberia, a very strange people: they neither govern nor allow themselves to be governed!»

Subscribe to Made in PT bringing 560.web3 content to the world.

Subscribe to Made in PT bringing 560.web3 content to the world.
Share Dialog
Share Dialog
<100 subscribers
<100 subscribers


Versão portuguesa aqui.
GPS 38.645011135478306, -27.080242325716082
In the General Lighting Plan approved in 1883, the “Ponta de S. Jorge” appears as the location. Counselor Almeida de Ávila would also predict, in 1891, the installation of the lighthouse in that location.
This would not be the opinion of the 1902 commission, which understood that the part most frequented by navigation, from Monte Brasil to Ponta da Serreta, was obscured, therefore, it considered it more convenient to install the lighthouse at Ponta das Contendas.

In 1926, the land for the construction of the lighthouse was purchased for 1,500 insular escudos, that is, 1,200 escudos in continental currency.
Construction began in 1928 with stonework from the existing forts in the so-called caninas areas, the material being transported in oxcarts, including sand taken from Caninas bay and water from the source of Vila de S. Sebastião.
The work was in charge of the master builder Mr. António Tomaz who had already directed the construction of other lighthouses.
The Contendas lighthouse was established on February 1, 1934. It is located at Ponta das Contendas SE of Terceira Island. The lighthouse tower is 13 meters high and 54 meters high.
It was equipped with a lenticular apparatus, 3rd order rotary catadioptric dioptric, large model (500 mm focal length), the light source being incandescent by oil vapour, with a constant level five-wick lamp as a reserve.
The rotation of the optics was produced through the clockwork machine and the luminous range was 20 miles. The lantern had a glass dome to give it the characteristic of an airship.
In 1957 the engine room was built, with the lighthouse being electrified by means of generating sets in 1958. The light source became a 3000 W lamp, leaving the oil incandescence as a reserve.
In 1964, the road leading to the lighthouse was inaugurated, with the Lighthouse Directorate contributing to the works in the amount of 50,000$00. In the same year, the lighthouse was connected to the public water supply network.
The power of the light source was reduced with the installation of a 1000W 120V lamp in 1983.
In 1985, two sectors of red light were introduced to protect the most dangerous areas, including the vicinity of the Fradinhos islets.
The lighthouse was electrified in 1998 with the connection to the public distribution grid. It is automated with the DF model system.

LOCATION: AT PONTA DAS CONTENDAS
FUNCTION: COASTAL
ESTABLISHMENT: 02/01/1934
LATITUDE: 38º 38',62 N – 38º 38,61' N (WGS)
LONGITUDE: 27º 05'.12 W - 27º 05.06' (WGS)
HEIGHT: 13M
ALTITUDE: 54 M
RANGE: 23 MILES (42.6Km)
FEATURE: FI (4) WR 15s.
Versão portuguesa aqui.
GPS 38.645011135478306, -27.080242325716082
In the General Lighting Plan approved in 1883, the “Ponta de S. Jorge” appears as the location. Counselor Almeida de Ávila would also predict, in 1891, the installation of the lighthouse in that location.
This would not be the opinion of the 1902 commission, which understood that the part most frequented by navigation, from Monte Brasil to Ponta da Serreta, was obscured, therefore, it considered it more convenient to install the lighthouse at Ponta das Contendas.

In 1926, the land for the construction of the lighthouse was purchased for 1,500 insular escudos, that is, 1,200 escudos in continental currency.
Construction began in 1928 with stonework from the existing forts in the so-called caninas areas, the material being transported in oxcarts, including sand taken from Caninas bay and water from the source of Vila de S. Sebastião.
The work was in charge of the master builder Mr. António Tomaz who had already directed the construction of other lighthouses.
The Contendas lighthouse was established on February 1, 1934. It is located at Ponta das Contendas SE of Terceira Island. The lighthouse tower is 13 meters high and 54 meters high.
It was equipped with a lenticular apparatus, 3rd order rotary catadioptric dioptric, large model (500 mm focal length), the light source being incandescent by oil vapour, with a constant level five-wick lamp as a reserve.
The rotation of the optics was produced through the clockwork machine and the luminous range was 20 miles. The lantern had a glass dome to give it the characteristic of an airship.
In 1957 the engine room was built, with the lighthouse being electrified by means of generating sets in 1958. The light source became a 3000 W lamp, leaving the oil incandescence as a reserve.
In 1964, the road leading to the lighthouse was inaugurated, with the Lighthouse Directorate contributing to the works in the amount of 50,000$00. In the same year, the lighthouse was connected to the public water supply network.
The power of the light source was reduced with the installation of a 1000W 120V lamp in 1983.
In 1985, two sectors of red light were introduced to protect the most dangerous areas, including the vicinity of the Fradinhos islets.
The lighthouse was electrified in 1998 with the connection to the public distribution grid. It is automated with the DF model system.

LOCATION: AT PONTA DAS CONTENDAS
FUNCTION: COASTAL
ESTABLISHMENT: 02/01/1934
LATITUDE: 38º 38',62 N – 38º 38,61' N (WGS)
LONGITUDE: 27º 05'.12 W - 27º 05.06' (WGS)
HEIGHT: 13M
ALTITUDE: 54 M
RANGE: 23 MILES (42.6Km)
FEATURE: FI (4) WR 15s.
No activity yet