
Torre de Belém - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.691652189603964, -9.215969383207815Built on the northern bank of the Tagus between 1514 and 1520 as part of the Tagus estuary defence system, the Tower of Belém is one of the architectural jewels of the reign of Manuel I. In the tower as a whole one can distinguish two distinct volumes and military architectural models: the mediaeval keep tower and the modern bulwark which, as it contained two artillery levels, allowed for long-distance cannon firing as well as ...

Forte de Santa Marta, Cascais - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.6906645919396, -9.421208371684521 It was built after 1640, as part of the Barra do Tejo defense plan, directed by the Count of Cantanhede. Equipped with a large battery compared to the fort and three juxtaposed rectangular bodies, with different areas, it crossed fire with the Citadel battery and defended the small mouth of Ribeira dos Mochos. In the second half of the 18th century it was the subject of several construction campaigns, the most significant being ...

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.698112850075525, -9.206629905588464The Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém, better known as Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, is a Portuguese monastery, built at the end of the 15th century by King D. Manuel I and was entrusted to the Order of São Jerónimo. It is located in the parish of Belém, in the city and municipality of Lisbon. It has, since 2016, the status of National Pantheon. The culmination of Manueline architecture, this monastery is the most notable Portuguese ...
«There is, in the most western part of Iberia, a very strange people: they neither govern nor allow themselves to be governed!»

Torre de Belém - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.691652189603964, -9.215969383207815Built on the northern bank of the Tagus between 1514 and 1520 as part of the Tagus estuary defence system, the Tower of Belém is one of the architectural jewels of the reign of Manuel I. In the tower as a whole one can distinguish two distinct volumes and military architectural models: the mediaeval keep tower and the modern bulwark which, as it contained two artillery levels, allowed for long-distance cannon firing as well as ...

Forte de Santa Marta, Cascais - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.6906645919396, -9.421208371684521 It was built after 1640, as part of the Barra do Tejo defense plan, directed by the Count of Cantanhede. Equipped with a large battery compared to the fort and three juxtaposed rectangular bodies, with different areas, it crossed fire with the Citadel battery and defended the small mouth of Ribeira dos Mochos. In the second half of the 18th century it was the subject of several construction campaigns, the most significant being ...

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.698112850075525, -9.206629905588464The Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém, better known as Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, is a Portuguese monastery, built at the end of the 15th century by King D. Manuel I and was entrusted to the Order of São Jerónimo. It is located in the parish of Belém, in the city and municipality of Lisbon. It has, since 2016, the status of National Pantheon. The culmination of Manueline architecture, this monastery is the most notable Portuguese ...
«There is, in the most western part of Iberia, a very strange people: they neither govern nor allow themselves to be governed!»

Subscribe to Made in PT bringing 560.web3 content to the world.

Subscribe to Made in PT bringing 560.web3 content to the world.
Share Dialog
Share Dialog


<100 subscribers
<100 subscribers
Versão portuguesa aqui.
GPS 38.67451025384173, -9.325289933168413
Very close to the mouth of the Tagus, there was once a hermitage called S. Gião, from which the name of the current fortress derives, whose construction apparently began in 1556 at the end of the reign of King João III.

The fortress was the scene of two surrenders: delivered during the Filipino domination by D. Tristão Vaz da Veiga in agreement with the enemy in 1580 and in 1640 by an officer of Philip III, D. Fernando de La Cueva in exchange for a substantial reward. It was a prison – military and political – from the reign of the Filipes until the reign of D. Miguel.
The Pombaline charter of February 1, 1758 ordered the construction of the lighthouse of S. Julião, among others. Through a document from the time, it is thought that there had already been a lighthouse in S. Julião and that it was destroyed by the earthquake of 1755.
The illuminating system installed in 1775, which was not very efficient, consisted of an Argand lamp set with a parabolic reflector.
Between 1848 and 1865 the lighthouse was modernized, with a 4th order Fresnel lenticular device installed on the latter date (it was the fourth lighthouse on our coast to receive this type of device), producing fixed white light, powered by gas distilled from wood.

From 1880 on, lighting began to be obtained by the incandescence of gas obtained from petroleum.
In 1916 a horn sound signal was installed. From 1916 to 1918 the lighthouse was turned off for military reasons, due to the First World War.
The light from the lighthouse, which was fixed, white, in 1933 became red occultation due to the resolution of the beaconing conference, held in Lisbon, which banned the fixed lights of beacons on the margins of important cities or towns. On the same date, the lighthouse was connected to the public distribution grid.
Integrated in the remote control network of the approaches to the port of Lisbon, it was automated in 1980, being remotely controlled from the Headquarters of Faros.

LOCATION: In the fortress of S. Julião da Barra
ROLE: Port
ESTABLISHMENT: 1775
LATITUDE: 38º 40', 54 N
LONGITUDE: 09º 19', 43 N
HEIGHT: 24 m
ALTITUDE: 39 m
RANGE: 14 mi ( 25.9 KM )
FEATURE: Oc R 5s (Lt 3s;Ec 2s)
Versão portuguesa aqui.
GPS 38.67451025384173, -9.325289933168413
Very close to the mouth of the Tagus, there was once a hermitage called S. Gião, from which the name of the current fortress derives, whose construction apparently began in 1556 at the end of the reign of King João III.

The fortress was the scene of two surrenders: delivered during the Filipino domination by D. Tristão Vaz da Veiga in agreement with the enemy in 1580 and in 1640 by an officer of Philip III, D. Fernando de La Cueva in exchange for a substantial reward. It was a prison – military and political – from the reign of the Filipes until the reign of D. Miguel.
The Pombaline charter of February 1, 1758 ordered the construction of the lighthouse of S. Julião, among others. Through a document from the time, it is thought that there had already been a lighthouse in S. Julião and that it was destroyed by the earthquake of 1755.
The illuminating system installed in 1775, which was not very efficient, consisted of an Argand lamp set with a parabolic reflector.
Between 1848 and 1865 the lighthouse was modernized, with a 4th order Fresnel lenticular device installed on the latter date (it was the fourth lighthouse on our coast to receive this type of device), producing fixed white light, powered by gas distilled from wood.

From 1880 on, lighting began to be obtained by the incandescence of gas obtained from petroleum.
In 1916 a horn sound signal was installed. From 1916 to 1918 the lighthouse was turned off for military reasons, due to the First World War.
The light from the lighthouse, which was fixed, white, in 1933 became red occultation due to the resolution of the beaconing conference, held in Lisbon, which banned the fixed lights of beacons on the margins of important cities or towns. On the same date, the lighthouse was connected to the public distribution grid.
Integrated in the remote control network of the approaches to the port of Lisbon, it was automated in 1980, being remotely controlled from the Headquarters of Faros.

LOCATION: In the fortress of S. Julião da Barra
ROLE: Port
ESTABLISHMENT: 1775
LATITUDE: 38º 40', 54 N
LONGITUDE: 09º 19', 43 N
HEIGHT: 24 m
ALTITUDE: 39 m
RANGE: 14 mi ( 25.9 KM )
FEATURE: Oc R 5s (Lt 3s;Ec 2s)
No activity yet