
Torre de Belém - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.691652189603964, -9.215969383207815Built on the northern bank of the Tagus between 1514 and 1520 as part of the Tagus estuary defence system, the Tower of Belém is one of the architectural jewels of the reign of Manuel I. In the tower as a whole one can distinguish two distinct volumes and military architectural models: the mediaeval keep tower and the modern bulwark which, as it contained two artillery levels, allowed for long-distance cannon firing as well as ...

Forte de Santa Marta, Cascais - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.6906645919396, -9.421208371684521 It was built after 1640, as part of the Barra do Tejo defense plan, directed by the Count of Cantanhede. Equipped with a large battery compared to the fort and three juxtaposed rectangular bodies, with different areas, it crossed fire with the Citadel battery and defended the small mouth of Ribeira dos Mochos. In the second half of the 18th century it was the subject of several construction campaigns, the most significant being ...

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.698112850075525, -9.206629905588464The Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém, better known as Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, is a Portuguese monastery, built at the end of the 15th century by King D. Manuel I and was entrusted to the Order of São Jerónimo. It is located in the parish of Belém, in the city and municipality of Lisbon. It has, since 2016, the status of National Pantheon. The culmination of Manueline architecture, this monastery is the most notable Portuguese ...
«There is, in the most western part of Iberia, a very strange people: they neither govern nor allow themselves to be governed!»

Torre de Belém - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.691652189603964, -9.215969383207815Built on the northern bank of the Tagus between 1514 and 1520 as part of the Tagus estuary defence system, the Tower of Belém is one of the architectural jewels of the reign of Manuel I. In the tower as a whole one can distinguish two distinct volumes and military architectural models: the mediaeval keep tower and the modern bulwark which, as it contained two artillery levels, allowed for long-distance cannon firing as well as ...

Forte de Santa Marta, Cascais - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.6906645919396, -9.421208371684521 It was built after 1640, as part of the Barra do Tejo defense plan, directed by the Count of Cantanhede. Equipped with a large battery compared to the fort and three juxtaposed rectangular bodies, with different areas, it crossed fire with the Citadel battery and defended the small mouth of Ribeira dos Mochos. In the second half of the 18th century it was the subject of several construction campaigns, the most significant being ...

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.698112850075525, -9.206629905588464The Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém, better known as Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, is a Portuguese monastery, built at the end of the 15th century by King D. Manuel I and was entrusted to the Order of São Jerónimo. It is located in the parish of Belém, in the city and municipality of Lisbon. It has, since 2016, the status of National Pantheon. The culmination of Manueline architecture, this monastery is the most notable Portuguese ...
«There is, in the most western part of Iberia, a very strange people: they neither govern nor allow themselves to be governed!»

Subscribe to Made in PT bringing 560.web3 content to the world.

Subscribe to Made in PT bringing 560.web3 content to the world.
Share Dialog
Share Dialog
<100 subscribers
<100 subscribers


Versão portuguesa aqui.
GPS 38.69976392518273, -9.468229920964166
The Fort of São Jorge de Oitavos, also referred to as Forte de Oitavos, is located on EN 247, next to Duna Grande de Oitavos, in the parish of Cascais and Estoril, municipality of Cascais, district of Lisbon, in Portugal.
It is classified as a Property of Public Interest by Decree nº 735, published in the DG on December 21, 1974.

History
It was built in the context of the War of Restoration of Portuguese independence, to complement the defense of the Tagus River, under the direction of D. António Luís de Meneses, 1st Marquis of Marialva. It was specifically intended to shelter a small garrison, with the function of preventing landings on the coast between Guincho beach and Guia beach. Although the epigraphic inscription on the Portão de Armas specifies the beginning and end dates respectively as May 4, 1642 and 1648, scholars understand that a more correct periodization would be starting in 1641 and ending in 1643. It crossed fires with the Fort of Nossa Senhora da Guia and the Fort of São Brás de Sanxete.
It was normally manned by a corporal, three artillerymen and eighteen soldiers, and was artillery by four pieces, which remained until the 19th century.
On the eve of the 21st century, in December 2000, it was reopened as a historical-military museum and cultural space under the responsibility of Cascais City Council, reconstructing the daily life of the garrison of a maritime fortification at the end of the 18th century.
Characteristics Small maritime fortification, with an organic rectangular plan, adapted to the relief of the cliff on which it stands.
The oldest identified drawing of this fort (1796) shows, in addition to the battery on the esplanade and the cistern, four outbuildings: the Troop Barracks, the kitchen, refectory and dormitories, the magazine and the Command House.
Its defense is complemented by covered guardhouses in the projecting angles and by a musketry line.
The epigraphic inscription on the Armas gate reads:
"O MUITO ALTO E MUITO PODEROZO / REY D JOÃO O IIII DE PORTUGAL NO / SO SENHOR Q[UE] DEUS GUARDE MAN / DOU FAZER ESTA FORTIFICAÇÃO SEN / DO GOVERNADOR DAS ARMAS REAIS / D ANº [ANTÓNIO] LUIS DE MENEZES Q[UE] SE PRINSI / PIOU EM 9 DE M[A]IO DE 1642 E SE ACA / BOU EM A ERA DE 1648"
Galeria de imagens



Full list of Geochaching below:
https://mirror.xyz/madeinpt.eth/I5tjF3sn6ugnUw3nBnKOpOUr2DEh_g6cTN-0hivKCgc
*Released*✅ *Reviewed*✅ Approved✅
Curator Body0x49478e011f68357F4Af38B92EADa8D7ddfE7e7Dc 0xa9fdA291a97eA4CC8D07fA1f89473f79F171490C 0x9A6F0Df3BE30246b199AC4b5106e2ac2FCD070f2 0x083B4bE22ACA5dC213085F59a639663fB7C6C4d6 0xa554be9835947B10cAB101cf06De85A5E1531050
Versão portuguesa aqui.
GPS 38.69976392518273, -9.468229920964166
The Fort of São Jorge de Oitavos, also referred to as Forte de Oitavos, is located on EN 247, next to Duna Grande de Oitavos, in the parish of Cascais and Estoril, municipality of Cascais, district of Lisbon, in Portugal.
It is classified as a Property of Public Interest by Decree nº 735, published in the DG on December 21, 1974.

History
It was built in the context of the War of Restoration of Portuguese independence, to complement the defense of the Tagus River, under the direction of D. António Luís de Meneses, 1st Marquis of Marialva. It was specifically intended to shelter a small garrison, with the function of preventing landings on the coast between Guincho beach and Guia beach. Although the epigraphic inscription on the Portão de Armas specifies the beginning and end dates respectively as May 4, 1642 and 1648, scholars understand that a more correct periodization would be starting in 1641 and ending in 1643. It crossed fires with the Fort of Nossa Senhora da Guia and the Fort of São Brás de Sanxete.
It was normally manned by a corporal, three artillerymen and eighteen soldiers, and was artillery by four pieces, which remained until the 19th century.
On the eve of the 21st century, in December 2000, it was reopened as a historical-military museum and cultural space under the responsibility of Cascais City Council, reconstructing the daily life of the garrison of a maritime fortification at the end of the 18th century.
Characteristics Small maritime fortification, with an organic rectangular plan, adapted to the relief of the cliff on which it stands.
The oldest identified drawing of this fort (1796) shows, in addition to the battery on the esplanade and the cistern, four outbuildings: the Troop Barracks, the kitchen, refectory and dormitories, the magazine and the Command House.
Its defense is complemented by covered guardhouses in the projecting angles and by a musketry line.
The epigraphic inscription on the Armas gate reads:
"O MUITO ALTO E MUITO PODEROZO / REY D JOÃO O IIII DE PORTUGAL NO / SO SENHOR Q[UE] DEUS GUARDE MAN / DOU FAZER ESTA FORTIFICAÇÃO SEN / DO GOVERNADOR DAS ARMAS REAIS / D ANº [ANTÓNIO] LUIS DE MENEZES Q[UE] SE PRINSI / PIOU EM 9 DE M[A]IO DE 1642 E SE ACA / BOU EM A ERA DE 1648"
Galeria de imagens



Full list of Geochaching below:
https://mirror.xyz/madeinpt.eth/I5tjF3sn6ugnUw3nBnKOpOUr2DEh_g6cTN-0hivKCgc
*Released*✅ *Reviewed*✅ Approved✅
Curator Body0x49478e011f68357F4Af38B92EADa8D7ddfE7e7Dc 0xa9fdA291a97eA4CC8D07fA1f89473f79F171490C 0x9A6F0Df3BE30246b199AC4b5106e2ac2FCD070f2 0x083B4bE22ACA5dC213085F59a639663fB7C6C4d6 0xa554be9835947B10cAB101cf06De85A5E1531050
No activity yet