
Torre de Belém - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.691652189603964, -9.215969383207815Built on the northern bank of the Tagus between 1514 and 1520 as part of the Tagus estuary defence system, the Tower of Belém is one of the architectural jewels of the reign of Manuel I. In the tower as a whole one can distinguish two distinct volumes and military architectural models: the mediaeval keep tower and the modern bulwark which, as it contained two artillery levels, allowed for long-distance cannon firing as well as ...

Forte de Santa Marta, Cascais - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.6906645919396, -9.421208371684521 It was built after 1640, as part of the Barra do Tejo defense plan, directed by the Count of Cantanhede. Equipped with a large battery compared to the fort and three juxtaposed rectangular bodies, with different areas, it crossed fire with the Citadel battery and defended the small mouth of Ribeira dos Mochos. In the second half of the 18th century it was the subject of several construction campaigns, the most significant being ...

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.698112850075525, -9.206629905588464The Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém, better known as Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, is a Portuguese monastery, built at the end of the 15th century by King D. Manuel I and was entrusted to the Order of São Jerónimo. It is located in the parish of Belém, in the city and municipality of Lisbon. It has, since 2016, the status of National Pantheon. The culmination of Manueline architecture, this monastery is the most notable Portuguese ...
«There is, in the most western part of Iberia, a very strange people: they neither govern nor allow themselves to be governed!»

Torre de Belém - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.691652189603964, -9.215969383207815Built on the northern bank of the Tagus between 1514 and 1520 as part of the Tagus estuary defence system, the Tower of Belém is one of the architectural jewels of the reign of Manuel I. In the tower as a whole one can distinguish two distinct volumes and military architectural models: the mediaeval keep tower and the modern bulwark which, as it contained two artillery levels, allowed for long-distance cannon firing as well as ...

Forte de Santa Marta, Cascais - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.6906645919396, -9.421208371684521 It was built after 1640, as part of the Barra do Tejo defense plan, directed by the Count of Cantanhede. Equipped with a large battery compared to the fort and three juxtaposed rectangular bodies, with different areas, it crossed fire with the Citadel battery and defended the small mouth of Ribeira dos Mochos. In the second half of the 18th century it was the subject of several construction campaigns, the most significant being ...

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos - en
Versão portuguesa aqui. GPS 38.698112850075525, -9.206629905588464The Monastery of Santa Maria de Belém, better known as Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, is a Portuguese monastery, built at the end of the 15th century by King D. Manuel I and was entrusted to the Order of São Jerónimo. It is located in the parish of Belém, in the city and municipality of Lisbon. It has, since 2016, the status of National Pantheon. The culmination of Manueline architecture, this monastery is the most notable Portuguese ...
«There is, in the most western part of Iberia, a very strange people: they neither govern nor allow themselves to be governed!»

Subscribe to Made in PT bringing 560.web3 content to the world.

Subscribe to Made in PT bringing 560.web3 content to the world.
Share Dialog
Share Dialog
<100 subscribers
<100 subscribers


Versão portuguesa aqui.
GPS 42.04156621800956, -8.494329447041666
The Brejoeira Palace is located in the parish of Pinheiros, in the town and municipality of Monção, district of Viana do Castelo, in Portugal.

Six kilometers south of Monção, it is part of a vast rural property, divided into 18 hectares of vineyards, eight hectares of woods and three hectares of garden. This sumptuous palace is an example of noble villas in the country.
The Brejoeira Palace is classified as a National Monument since 1910.
History
It was built in the first years of the 19th century, with the works lasting until 1834. Although there is no clear evidence about who was the author of its project, it has been attributed to Carlos Amarante, at the time, one of the most important architects working in the country. north of the country, and there are still those who argue that the architect may have been José da Costa e Silva, who designed the Palácio da Ajuda, in Lisbon, given the similarities between the two palaces.
It initially belonged to Luís Pereira Velho de Moscoso, born on November 29, 1767 and married to Maria Cleófa Pereira Caldas, from Badim. The existing palace in Largo do Caldas in Lisbon was owned by the family. Luís de Moscoso was a nobleman of the royal house, which allowed him to obtain authorization from King D. João VI for the construction of the palace. With the death of Luís de Moscoso in 1837, the works continued under the direction of his second son, Simão Pereira Velho de Moscoso (1805-1881), and it is estimated that they cost around 400 contos de réis. This one died without issue. For lack of close relatives, the palace was inherited by the Caldas de Lisboa family. Times of abandonment and degradation follow.
Around 1901, the palace was sold at public auction to Pedro Maria da Fonseca Araújo (1862-1922), president of the Commercial Association of Porto, who carried out extensive restoration works, designed by the architect Ventura Terra. The property was enriched with a theater and a winter garden, the walls of the atrium and the staircase were covered with tiles, the gardens and woods were renovated, in addition to the construction of a lake. The works in the gardens and different areas of the farm were carried out by the Porto horticulturist and gardener Jacinto de Matos.
On June 23, 1910, it was classified as a National Monument.
In 1937, the building was sold to Commander Francisco de Oliveira Paes, an important industrialist in Lisbon, who offered it to his only daughter, Maria Hermínia de Oliveira Paes, when she turned 18. Dona Hermínia Paes had a modern cellar built and, in 1976, launched her own brand, the Alvarinho wine "Palácio da Brejoeira", with great success.
Dona Maria Hermínia de Oliveira Paes died on December 30, 2015 at the age of 97.
Nowadays the palace belongs to the limited company Palácio da Brejoeira - Viticultores, S.A. created in 1999 by the last owner.
On July 11, 2010 the palace opened to the public with guided tours.
Characteristics
Built in neoclassical style and with an "L"-shaped plan, however, it features rococo style ornaments. Its four facades are bordered by three turrets that add a distinctive presence and are reminiscent of the Palácio Nacional da Ajuda, in Lisbon. The central body is almost entirely covered in granite and has an enlarged portal in the center, which protrudes from the side bodies, this central body is still crowned by the familiar coat of arms between two balustrades. In the body perpendicular to the noble façade, the decoration becomes more severe, without, however, breaking the harmony of the whole.
Inside, interesting rooms are preserved, in which the decor is neoclassical, with emphasis on the sumptuous rooms with paintings (including a portrait of D. João VI protected by a canopy with valances and side curtains), frescoes and distinctive decoration. .
At the entrance, grand noble staircase, launched from a spacious atrium. On the walls are tile panels by Jorge Pinto, executed in the 20th century, as well as many of the works and alterations that took place at the beginning of this century. It also has a chapel and a theater, the latter with a strong classicist influence, marked by the use of fluted columns. The scenic backdrop presents a perspective of the façade of the Palácio da Brejoeira, flanked by vegetation breaks. There is a greenhouse in a semi-circle of glass and iron, accessible through a landing on the grand staircase.
It is surrounded by leafy woods and charming gardens with magnolias and japonias.
Gallery






Versão portuguesa aqui.
GPS 42.04156621800956, -8.494329447041666
The Brejoeira Palace is located in the parish of Pinheiros, in the town and municipality of Monção, district of Viana do Castelo, in Portugal.

Six kilometers south of Monção, it is part of a vast rural property, divided into 18 hectares of vineyards, eight hectares of woods and three hectares of garden. This sumptuous palace is an example of noble villas in the country.
The Brejoeira Palace is classified as a National Monument since 1910.
History
It was built in the first years of the 19th century, with the works lasting until 1834. Although there is no clear evidence about who was the author of its project, it has been attributed to Carlos Amarante, at the time, one of the most important architects working in the country. north of the country, and there are still those who argue that the architect may have been José da Costa e Silva, who designed the Palácio da Ajuda, in Lisbon, given the similarities between the two palaces.
It initially belonged to Luís Pereira Velho de Moscoso, born on November 29, 1767 and married to Maria Cleófa Pereira Caldas, from Badim. The existing palace in Largo do Caldas in Lisbon was owned by the family. Luís de Moscoso was a nobleman of the royal house, which allowed him to obtain authorization from King D. João VI for the construction of the palace. With the death of Luís de Moscoso in 1837, the works continued under the direction of his second son, Simão Pereira Velho de Moscoso (1805-1881), and it is estimated that they cost around 400 contos de réis. This one died without issue. For lack of close relatives, the palace was inherited by the Caldas de Lisboa family. Times of abandonment and degradation follow.
Around 1901, the palace was sold at public auction to Pedro Maria da Fonseca Araújo (1862-1922), president of the Commercial Association of Porto, who carried out extensive restoration works, designed by the architect Ventura Terra. The property was enriched with a theater and a winter garden, the walls of the atrium and the staircase were covered with tiles, the gardens and woods were renovated, in addition to the construction of a lake. The works in the gardens and different areas of the farm were carried out by the Porto horticulturist and gardener Jacinto de Matos.
On June 23, 1910, it was classified as a National Monument.
In 1937, the building was sold to Commander Francisco de Oliveira Paes, an important industrialist in Lisbon, who offered it to his only daughter, Maria Hermínia de Oliveira Paes, when she turned 18. Dona Hermínia Paes had a modern cellar built and, in 1976, launched her own brand, the Alvarinho wine "Palácio da Brejoeira", with great success.
Dona Maria Hermínia de Oliveira Paes died on December 30, 2015 at the age of 97.
Nowadays the palace belongs to the limited company Palácio da Brejoeira - Viticultores, S.A. created in 1999 by the last owner.
On July 11, 2010 the palace opened to the public with guided tours.
Characteristics
Built in neoclassical style and with an "L"-shaped plan, however, it features rococo style ornaments. Its four facades are bordered by three turrets that add a distinctive presence and are reminiscent of the Palácio Nacional da Ajuda, in Lisbon. The central body is almost entirely covered in granite and has an enlarged portal in the center, which protrudes from the side bodies, this central body is still crowned by the familiar coat of arms between two balustrades. In the body perpendicular to the noble façade, the decoration becomes more severe, without, however, breaking the harmony of the whole.
Inside, interesting rooms are preserved, in which the decor is neoclassical, with emphasis on the sumptuous rooms with paintings (including a portrait of D. João VI protected by a canopy with valances and side curtains), frescoes and distinctive decoration. .
At the entrance, grand noble staircase, launched from a spacious atrium. On the walls are tile panels by Jorge Pinto, executed in the 20th century, as well as many of the works and alterations that took place at the beginning of this century. It also has a chapel and a theater, the latter with a strong classicist influence, marked by the use of fluted columns. The scenic backdrop presents a perspective of the façade of the Palácio da Brejoeira, flanked by vegetation breaks. There is a greenhouse in a semi-circle of glass and iron, accessible through a landing on the grand staircase.
It is surrounded by leafy woods and charming gardens with magnolias and japonias.
Gallery






No activity yet